Antarctic Micronational Union
|Antarctic Micronational Union
|Headquarters||AMU Facebook page|
|Membership||_ member nations|
|Foundation||06 December 2008|
|AMU Reforms||15 January 2010|
21 August 2013
24 January 2020
The Antarctic Micronational Union is the first micronational multinational organisation that comprises only of Antarctic micronations. The main goal of the AMU is to organize all Antarctic micronations and protect each others' territory and claims. The AMU also keeps the administration about all the current claims in Antarctica to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts. Since 2010 the AMU has been mentioned in several Dutch, Belgian and Russian media.
History[edit | edit source]
Establishment[edit | edit source]
The AMU was officially established on 06 December 2008 as the Grupo Del Acuerdo Micronational Antartico (GAMA) by the Kingdom of Finismund, Marie State and the Grand Duchy of Flandrensis. The Federated States of Antarctica and Keep Watch were the first micronations which joined the organisation after its foundation.
The GAMA was founded as result of a conflict between Finismund, Marie State and Flandrensis against Jon Lawrence of Westarctica, known as the Great Micronational Antarctic War. This conflict ended on 24 September 2010 when Niels of Flandrensis and Travis McHenry, founder of Westarctica, signed the West-Antarctic Treaty.
Reforms[edit | edit source]
In late 2009, the organization faced a crisis when two of the founding nations, Finismund and Marie State, were disbanded. There was no structure anymore and the administration was incomplete. In January 2010, Flandrensis proposed the first elections of the organization, and on the 15th of that month, Grand Duke Niels of Flandrensis was elected as the first Secretary-General. The same day he renamed the organization to the Antarctic Micronational Union (AMU), a name that has more clarity.
On 24 October 2011, the AMU was reformed by dividing the organization into 4 administrative regions: West-Antarctica, East-Antarctica, Victoria Land and the Northern Antarctic Peninsula. The reform was only a temporally success. Faced with inactivity on the forum, the lack of communication and the disappearing of several micronations the AMU was confronted again with a crisis in 2013. Niels of Flandrensis, co-founder of the AMU, took the initiative for another reform, supported by the remaining active members. On 21 August 2013, all inactive members were removed from the organization, the forum was removed and replaced by the official Facebook page and the organization simplified its administration.
In November 2016, Flandrensis, Westarctica, Karnia-Ruthenia, Arkel and Campinia withdraw their membership after a discussion about internal affairs and the preservation of Antarctica and ecologic issues. Despite the conflict, the former members of AMU defended their common legacies in face of external threats with success and due this, during January 2020, they assembled in order to restore AMU as an active organisation.
Although the departure was first proposed by Flandrensis, Westarctica was bound to follow their ally in leaving the AMU due to the provisions of the West-Antarctic Free Alliance, a treaty which linked the foreign affairs of the two nations.
Decline and Revival[edit | edit source]
As a result of the mass exodus, the AMU slid into inactivity, and while the organization was never officially disbanded, it was no longer functioning. In the absence of a regulating body, Antarctic micronationalism once again became chaotic: existing claims were contested, new micronations started popping up without any regard to prior Antarctic claims.
In December 2019 a number of current and former AMU members started negotiation talks, weighing the possibility of reviving the organization. These talks materialized on 24 February 2020, when the new Charter of the Antarctic Micronational Union was signed by the representatives of Hortania, Lostisland, Užupis, Karnia-Ruthenia, Westarctica, Missionary Order of the Celtic Cross and Montescano, who reconfirmed their membership in the revived organization. The Grand Duchy of Flandrensis opted out of rejoining the AMU, but announced a change in foreign policy, recognizing the territorial claims of all AMU members.
The AMU Members reconfirmed the authority of Yaroslav Mar as the Administrative-General for a new term until 2024, when a new election will take place.
Members[edit | edit source]
Micronations with only Antarctic claims[edit | edit source]
- Federal Republic of Lostisland: Alexander Island
- Principality of Montescano: Graham- and Liège Island
- File:Flag of the Karno-Ruthenian Empire.svg Karnia-Ruthenia Princess Elizabeth Land, Willhelm II Land, and Queen Mary Land
- File:Mocciiflag.jpg Missionary Order of the Celtic Cross: Western Enderby Land, Ross Island, and Queen Elizabeth Range
- File:Hortania Flag.png Hortanian Empire: East-Inland Queen Maud Land and West-Inland Mac Robertson Land
- File:UZFlg.jpg Republic of Užupis: Central Antarctica
- File:Official Flag Westarctica.jpg Grand Duchy of Westarctica: Marie Byrd Land
Former Members[edit | edit source]
- Kingdom of Danland
- Keep Watch
- File:Flag of the Federated States of Antarctica.png Federated States of Antarctica
- File:Flagofrwa.jpg Republic of the Wilhelm Islands
- File:Sqflag12.png Republic of Subenia
- File:Flagofnarctica.png Grand Duchy of the North Antarctic Peninsular Islands
- File:FCP flag.png Free Pristinian Republic
- File:Starland flag.jpg Union of Starland
- File:FedRep Domanglia Flag.png Domanglia
- File:Flag icon.jpg Kingdom of Falghun
- Federal Commonwealth of Havnesgade-Amager
- File:Flag-of-Asea.png ASEA
- File:Knoll flag 1.png Knoll Island Empire
- File:Knoll flag 1.png Tsardom of Nolland
- File:Flag123.jpg Kingdom of Pavlov
- File:13945533721.jpg Directory of Akull
- File:Flag of Snežanopol.png Federal Republic of Snežanopol
- File:Imperial Republic Flag Wiki.png Nemkhav Federation
- Treconia: Dream Island and Swain Island Group
- File:Schalamzaar-flag.png Schalamzaar Empire
- File:Antarctico londaise.png Community of Landashir
- Federal Republic of St.Charlie
- Grand Duchy of Flandrensis
- Grand Duchy of Westarctica
- File:Flag of Arkel.png Principality of Arkel
- Reĝlando de la Glaciaj Homoj
- Duchy of Campinia
Inactive members[edit | edit source]
During the years several Antarctic micronations disappeared or were disbanded. When a member of the AMU doesn't confirm their activity during the annual activity census, the Administrative-General declares a member inactive.
AMU Certificate[edit | edit source]
When the AMU recognizes the territorial claims of a new member the applicant received an official certificate as prove of their membership and recognition by the Antarctic micronational community.
AMU Charter[edit | edit source]
On 5 March 2010, the Secretary-General of the AMU started a discussion to stop further expansions of members on the Antarctic mainland. As result of this discussion the then Vice-Secretary, Nikola Lasica of the State of the People of West Antarctica wrote an charter, later rewritten in 2011 by Niels of Flandrensis. The Charter contains the goals of the AMU, conditions for membership, territorial expansion and a manual on how to act as a micronationalist. On 24 February 2020 a new charter was adopted by the AMU members.
Leadership[edit | edit source]
Since June 2013 the are no longer elections in the AMU, the last Secretary-General was Travis McHenry of the Grand Duchy of Westarctica. Since the reform of August 21, 2013 an Administrative-General is in charge of the organization. He is responsible for all territorial administration and communication with next Antarctic micronations, but he may only take decisions after consultation with other members.